13 March, 2010

And the weirdo nom was..

A lot of you asked what Hyssing was eating yesterday - it was pig heart. The weird looking white stuff wasn't the epiglottis as Brutus wondered, but pieces of the arteries going to the body and lungs. The physiology lessions from last fall sure come in handy. I got a few hearts a while back and chopped them up and stuck them in the freezer. They get a full meal of it so Virus had already eaten his share. Bajas get a little, too, even though he also get big chicken thighs in the morning. They're a spoilt bunch. Hyssing isn't too happy about having to chew yet, so he's usually waiting until Virus is full before starting to eat. He might take a couple of the smaller pieces, but I was so happy watching him eat this bigger piece and quite a bit of the artery walls. He didn't finish all of it, though, so Bajas got the last piece.


Heading upstairs to get another piece.

Today they've gotten a bit more variety. I was out early today and got some various meats at half price, beef heart and lamb ribs among other things. Lamb (and especially lamb heart) seem to be their favourite. So they got a bit of minced beef, some pieces of beef heart and lamb ribs (the meat, just a couple of tiny pieces of bone). Then I cracked an egg by mistake so they got a raw egg in there, too. Talk about their lucky day.


He gave up when all he had left were the artery walls. He'd already eaten quite a bit of them, though, so I was rather proud.
And Bajas enjoyed the leftovers.


I know many fear the raw meat, but I fed Bajas, Coco and Nimbus raw for years and saw how much better they did on it. The likelihood of them getting sick from eating raw food are at least not larger than from bad kibble in these recall times. Bajas gets compliments for his nice shiny coat now, but I can tell you his "kibble coat" is nothing compared to when on raw. Not to mention the shedding... I don't have the room for feeding them all on raw now, but I hope that a bit of raw will reduce the negative effects of the kibble. And with the kitties I especially hope to increase the amount of water they take in to prevent kidney disease in the future, which kibble fed kitties are prone to. (A cat eating kibble, even a "good drinker" will on average take in half the amount of water compared to a cat eating raw or canned food.) And when I have the space hopefully transitioning them to full raw food won't be as hard when they're used to a bit more variety. That's my hope, anyways.


Hey Hyssing - you might want your meat a little LESS fresh than that, okay?

Now it's time to an essay about poetry for Monday. I'm not looking forward to that, but I'm sure the boys will "help" as much as they can.

Ane

10 comments:

Forever Foster said...

The boys certainly get a lot of variety in their dinner bowls! :)

Dexter said...

The raw foodables look great! Momma worries that peewee and I will not chew and eat pieces that are too big. Sob. But we get the recreational meaty bones sometimes.

Slobbers,
Mango

BRUTUS said...

Your momma cuts up hearts? Sheesh - don't make her mad, huh? Arteries.. Yep I definitely see that now. Kinda dissipointed, I bet epiglotisses (epigloti?) are really nice & chewy too!

Snots-
Brutus the Frenchie

Miss Lizzy said...

I've never fed raw & I'm trying to think of even where I would buy the sorts of raw meats you describe. I think the markets in the US are quite different. We do have some small meat markets in our city, but I rarely go as they are out of my way. You are right about the cat kibble; we had a Siamese kitty that died of kidney failure when I was a child, likely from the kibble being too hard on his system. Everyone looks like they are really enjoying their meal!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Yummmmmmmy!

All of this sounds SO tasty!

Of khourse, seeing the khytties only khompletes meal!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra and Khousin Merdie
PeeEssWoo: Hi Bajas!

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

I thought I might quite like that but mum said oh no.. HUgs GJ xx

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We hear all the time about the benefits of feeding raw. We like our kibble and it might be tough to get Mom to switch over to raw but we do enjoy a chicken thigh or bone every now and then.

Good luck on that essay.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Unknown said...

Pig heart? Artery walls? When did your blog turn all gory like that? BOL Just kidding. I get it but M would never let me have such a delicacy.

Daisy said...

I heard that lamb heart is very delicious, but we cannot find it in stores now. I do enjoy chicken hearts and gizzards though.

Molly the Airedale said...

We know lots of doggies that are raw fed but you're the very first kitties!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch